Test writer: Jane Baron, RN, CS, ACNP
Contact hour: 1.0
Synergy CERP: Category A
Passing score: 9 correct (75%)
CE Test Instructions
To receive CE credit for this test (ID# ACC222), mark your answers on the form below, complete the enrollment information, and submit it with the $10 processing fee (nonmembers only; payable in US funds) to the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN). Answer forms must be postmarked by June 1, 2013. Within 3 to 4 weeks of AACN's receiving your test form, you will receive an AACN CE certificate.
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. AACN has been approved as a provider of continuing education in nursing by the State Boards of Nursing of Alabama (#ABNP0062), California (#01036), and Louisiana (#ABN12). AACN programming meets the standards for most other states requiring mandatory continuing education credit for relicensure.
CE Test Questions
1. Review the importance of taking a complete inventory of prescription, over the counter, and dietary supplements for patients admitted to the hospital.
2. Identify 3 herbal medications that increase the risk of bleeding.
3. Examine 4 common interactions between herbal and prescription medications.
1. Which statement is true?
a. The adolescent population consumes the most medications and is at the greatest risk of drug interactions.
b. Half of the older adult population takes 10 or more medications, including prescription, over the counter, and dietary supplements.
c. Spending on dietary supplements totaled approximately $4.8 billion in 2008.
d. Dietary supplements must have FDA approval.
2. Which statement regarding the FDA and herbal supplements is true?
a. The FDA acts on herbal supplements if they are deemed safe.
b. The FDA acts on herbal supplements if they are deemed unsafe.
c. The FDA acts on all supplements.
d. The FDA has no jurisdiction over herbal supplements.
3. Which herbal supplement is popular for the prevention and treatment of upper respiratory infections?
a. St John's wort
4. What effect does garlic have on the body?
a. Lowers digoxin level
b. Lowers cholesterol
c. Raises blood sugar
d. Interferes with anesthesia
5. Which herbal medication has the highest risk of bleeding when combined with Warfarin?
6. Which medication would not be recommended with prolonged use of echinacea?
b. Vitamin C
7. Which herbal supplement has been used for claudication to decrease leg pain?
8. Which statement about St John's wort is true?
a. St John's wort is well known for use in treatment of manic episodes.
b. John's wort is equivalent in efficacy to tricyclic antidepressants.
c. Use of St John's wort with other protease inhibitors is recommended.
d. Little to no drug interactions are found with St John's wort.
9. Which herbal supplement should be avoided if patients have hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, or endometriosis?
10. Which hormone is used for benign prostatic hypertrophy?
d. Saw palmetto
11. Which statement is true?
a. Valerian has been used for anxiety and depression.
b. Ginger is used to treat anxiety.
c. Kava has been thought to prevent urinary tract infections.
d. Cranberry is used for nausea and vomiting.
12. Which herbal supplements may prolong the effects of anesthesia?
a. Ginkgo and ginger
b. Ginseng and garlic
c. Kava and St John's wort
d. Echinacea and valerian